Knowing this, a total of 16,601,997 Filipinos voted for him, representing 39% of the population. Doesn't that mean the Filipinos are ready to have a drastic change? Of course, they are. No one wants another six years of puppet show. WE WANT CHANGE and so we did.
So, what makes President Duterte's first year significant?
In a media interview with Prof. Eric de Torres, a politcal analyst, a FEW achievements of President Duterte on his first year.
"Una yung war on drugs at saka yung crime. Talagang makikita natin, reflection sya sa 2017 budget na malaki din ang inilaan na pondo pagdating dito," he said.
"Makikita din nating sa unang taon ni Digong ung importansyang ibinigay sa kahalagan ng pagsugpo sa droga. Pangalawa pa nyan, sunud-sunod na yung infrastructure projects, ito yung marahil kadugtong nung nakalipas na administrasyon," he added.
Torres also mentioned Duterte continuing the "conditional cash transfer program" or the 4P's. There was also a great shift on foreign policy when it comes to the Philippines' relationship with China not to mention the strengthening of the country's relationship with Russia.
What shocked most of us was Duterte's remarks during a state visit in China was his announcement that the Philippines will cut its ties to the United States.
"... In this venue, I announce my separation from the United States," he said.
De Torres said, "Maraming nagulat pero ngayon nag-a-adjust na yung maraming Pilipino at nakikita nila yung ganitong klaseng leadership style ng ating presidente."
"Yung kanyang persona is very strong pero makikita mo palagi ang soft side niya... Yung reflection niya as being a leader, strong, striko pero at the end of the day, tatay [siya]," he added.
Another notable on his first year, was how he handled the "uneven disparity between regions".
"Makikita rin sa budget ng 2017 yung pondo na malaking pagtatayo ng maraming infrastructure projects sa Mindanao, ito advantage, or pwedeng sabihin nating perspectibo na nanggaling ang presidente natin sa south. At ito rin ang importanteng agenda nya na pagsulong ng Federalism para talagang makita natin, mare-distribute natin yung wealth sa pangkabuuang bansa," he added.
Finally, De Torres was asked what grade will he give the president. He said he'll be giving Duterte a 7.5 out of 10.
Want to know the Presidents achievements so far?
In just a span of one year, President Duterte have already accomplished so much. The list below are his achievements, so far. #2016to2017Achievements
- Has visited 14 military camps in just a month, including installations that no sitting president has ever laid eyes before. He also visited military hospitals and has invited wounded soldiers for a dinner get together in Malacanang.
- Has initiated talks with the left with the hope on ending a long standing armed struggle. Established goodwill by freeing prominent leftists leaders.
- Has managed to negotiate for the release of foreigners held hostage by armed bandits in the south.
- Has handled a terrorist crisis well (Davao bombing) managing to immediately restore normalcy, personally visiting the dead and comforting the injured, and enabled the authorities to immediately track down the perpetrators. After which, he also managed to direct an all out offensive against the armed terrorists
- Has visited Batanes after a typhoon, and even if Batanes is governed by a prominent clan opposed to him.
- Has visited China, Japan, Indonesia, Brunei and attended an ASEAN Summit in Laos. Note the significance of giving priority to Asian neighbors.
- In between two foreign trips, went to visit another typhoon ravaged area (Cagayan), on a Sunday when most people are resting…
- Has opened Malacanang to leftists, the first time ever said group was able to set foot in the palace.
- Has been mentioned or is a frequent topic of conversation now across the globe so much so that he and our country were even mentioned in a campaign rally by one of two presidential candidates in the US of A.
- Has managed to significantly improve airport and airline services, and got rid of the “tanim bala” scam by a simple directive.
- Has managed to improve LRT MRT services, including operation of basic but convenient facilities like escalators and elevators.
- Has managed to launch a nationwide emergency response system 911, and a nationwide government complaint center 8888 in just his first month in office.
- Has required the entire government to eliminate long lines or queue by ordinary people, and also simplify government transactions. For instance, drivers license are now valid for 5 years while passports will be valid for 10 years. Meanwhile, all permits and licenses and documents like NSO certificates, Seamans’ book should be released in 3 days.
- Has managed to sign an FOI for the executive branch of government, the only chief executive to do so.
- Has managed to significantly improve disaster preparedness and relief operations plus proper use and spend of government resources.
- Has managed to implement changes in the agricultural sector to enable the country to be self reliant in food production and distribution.
- Has paved the way to genuine land reform as well as directing the release of coco levy funds to the real beneficiaries.
- Has directed the repatriation of stranded OFWs and personally welcoming them at the airport.
- Has managed to open one-stop-shops for OFW requirements for ease of transactions.
- Has managed to sneak in and around Metro Manila and personally put to task mayors who have been sleeping on the job. This is not being mentioned officially, and there will be a denial if there will be those who will try to confirm. Exhibit A: Divisoria Exhibit B: Alabang Exhibit C: Pasig
- Launch 911 and 8888 hotline.
- Free tuition to all SUCs,
- Free Irrigation.
- Free Health Care.
- 800,000++ drug users pushers surrendering
- 20,000++ drug users pushers who were apprehended
- 1,500 drug users pushers killed in legitimate police operations
- 2,000 killed by unknown assailants and are under investigation.
- Top drug lords either arrested or killed.
- Protectors named
- Details of Drug trafficking inside Bilibid revealed
- Crime rate down by more than 40%