"Hindi ako takot [mamatay] dahil alam ko ‘yung buhay ko, ng pamilya ko, ang may-ari ay ang Panginoon. Ang tao ay mamatay naman talaga. Walang kinatatakutan si Espenido," he added. "I’m proud to say na kahit hindi ma-promote, basta magtrabaho lang ako. Sayang ang sweldo ko kung hindi ako magtrabaho,” he added.
He said it not right to call him a killer of mayors accused of involvement in illegal drugs, adding that slain Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog was just the second mayor killed on jos watch.
Asked by reporters why they should resign, Espenido answered "Para humaba buhay ba."
The current Ozamiz City Police chief said he will accept any new assignment and he will let the higher official of Philippine National Police in the decision, "Obedient tayo, sir, kung saan tayo ma-assign, God’s will tayo. Huwag n’yo na lang akong tanungin. 'Yung pinakakritikal (na lugar) alam ninyong mga media kung saan. Kaya kayo magchoice kung saan ako."
He told reporters if they knew where he wanted to be assigned, they should tell President Rodrigo Duterte about it.
"Kayo ang may alam dahil alam ko kayo mga media alam ninyo mga tsismis tsismis, alam n’yolahat. So ibulong n’yo kay Presidente para doon ako ma-assign," he said.
He also stated that he has 10 years in police service.
"Twenty-one years in service na ako. May 10 years pa. Marami pa silang pupuntahan natin," he said.
PCI Espenido has secured a copy of the complaint filed against him from the Department of Justice relating to the death of nine people in Ozamiz City.
President Rodrigo Duterte himself will grant a special award to the Ozamiz City police chief for his outstanding performance in the war against illegal drugs during the 116th Polcie Service Anniversary in Camp Crame, Quezon City Wednesday.
He was assisted by Interior Secretary Catalino Cuy and Philippine National Police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa. Espenido received an individual award for Anti-Illegal Drug Operations.
He was chosen for his exceptional performance and contribution on the governments war on illegal drugs.
National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Oscar D Albayalde, Region 3 police Chief Superintendent Aaron Aquino, and Region 4A police Chief Superintendent Ma O R Aplasca will also receive awards for deeming of illegal drug personalities.
Individual special awards will also be presented by Duterte to PNP troops in law enforcement operations in Marawi City.
- Superintendent Rex Arvin Malimban - deputy chief, logistics management division, PNP-SAF
- Superintendent Lambert Suerte - commanding officer, Rapid Deployment Battalion (RDB), PNP-SAF
- Senior Police Officer 1 Erwin Garalde - company executive senior police officer, 84th SAC, RDB, PNP-SAF
- Senior Police Officer 1 Jethri Amengan - senior counter terrorist operative (CTO) and extended range support team (ERST), 83rd Coy, RDB, PNP-SAF
Others who will receive unit awards are:
- Best police regional office - Police Regional Office 1 headed by regional director, Chief Superintendent Charlo Collado
- Best police provincial office- Sorsogon Police Provincial Office, PRO 5 headed by provincial director, Senior Superintendent Ronald Cabral
- Best city police office - Iligan City Police Office, PRO 10 headed by city director, Senior Superintendent Leony Roy Ga
- Best city police station - Vigan City Police Station, PRO 1 headed by chief of police, Superintendent Marlo Castillo Jr.
- Best municipal police station- San Jose Municipal Police Station, San Jose Buenavista, PRO 6 headed by chief of police, Chief Inspector Juvy Cordero
- Best regional public safety battalion - Regional Public Safety Battalion 12 headed by battalion commander, Superintendent Michael Lebanan
- Best provincial public safety company - Bukidnon Provincial Safety Company, PRO 10 headed by company commander, Superintendent Gervacio Balmaceda Jr.
- Best city public safety company - Davao City Public Safety Company, PRO 11headed by company commander, Superintendent Ireneo Caburnay
- Best national operational support unit - Maritime Group headed by director, Chief Superintendent Marcelo Morales
- Best national administrative support unit - Information Technology Management Service headed by director, Chief Superintendent Edwin Jose Nemenzo
- Best women and children protection desk - Regional Women and Children Protection Desk, PRO 7 headed by Chief Inspector Marilou Cuizon
- Best regional police human rights desk - Regional Police Human Rights Desk, PRO 7 headed by Superintendent Maribel Getigan
- Best police strategy management unit - Regional Police Strategy Management Unit, PRO 13 headed by Senior Superintendent Gimili Macaraeg
- Senior Superintendent Jonnel Estomo (chief, management division, Directorate for Comptrollership) - best senior police commissioned officer (PCO) for administration
- Senior Superintendent Rene Pamuspusan (executive officer, Directorate for Operations) - best senior police commissioned officer (PCO) for operation
- Chief Inspector Ford Sudaypan (chief, Strategy Review Scorecard, SAF) - best junior police commissioned officer (PCO) for administration
- Chief Inspector Ritchie Yandug (officer-in-charge, Manolo Fortich MPS, PRO 10) - Best junior police commissioned officer (PCO) for operation
- Senior Police Officer 4 Francisco Alfeche (municipal executive senior police officer (MESPO), Malapatan MPS, PRO 12) - Best senior police non-commissioned officer (PNCO) for administration
- Senior Police Officer 2 Harold Nicolas (Intelligence PNCO, PRO 1) - best senior police non-commissioned officer (PNCO) for operation
- Police Officer 1 Juan Carlos Ventura (PIO, PRO 1) - best junior police non-commissioned officer (PNCO) for administration
- Police Officer 2 Jhan Lay Apostol (Investigator PNCO, PRO 1) - best junior police non-commissioned officer (PNCO) for operation
- NUP Grace Abalde (admin officer V, PRO 10) - best non-uniformed personnel (NUP)for supervisory level
- NUP Sheena Lyn Montiero (communication development officer 1, Police Community Relations Group) - Best non-uniformed personnel (NUP) for non-supervisory level
- Senior Superintendent Rolando Anduyan (deputy regional director for operations, PRO – ARMM) - individual award for crisis management in Marawi City.